23 Nov ULC Update for November 2020
ULC Update for November 2020
NOVEMBER 29, 2020
Greetings to you from the Unified Leadership Council! As Dave Lawton shared in October’s blog about the four church-wide goals that have been set for 2021, I thought it would be appropriate to report on our success, as a church family, in working toward/meeting the three goals the ULC set last year for 2020, when we determined that we would align all resources around key ministries to maximize community impact and disciple-making. Below is a listing of the goals with a brief report on each. Please note that, especially in the case of goal #1, much creativity was needed, as COVID thwarted all of our initially-planned events.
1. Carry out three large-scale events for diverse community engagement.
• Trunk or Treat, held on October 31st, was a tremendous success, as approximately 400 children from Upward, CHUM Preschool, CACCC, CHUM Children, and the community participated.
• Teacher outreach events happened on November 12th, 17th, and 19th (coffee and donuts were served to Camp Hill School District staff at the start of the school day at their respective schools by church staff and pastors, followed up with a letter and prayer poem) with letters written by the congregation/pastors/staff to be distributed as a follow-up.
• Follow the Star, the live Christmas creche, is scheduled for eight December evenings with opportunities for families and individuals to participate as we offer this Christmas experience to the church and Camp Hill community.
2. Share in celebrating at least 27 professions and/or reaffirmations of faith.
• It may sound a little crazy, perhaps, but we have welcomed 27 new members at CHUM in 2020, including 14 confirmands.
3. Fully implement the new discipleship cycle.
• Pastor Jenny Streeter began her appointed part-time position as the Pastor of Discipleship on July 1st. She has worked to help turn the Next Step—Membership class (which she co-led with Pastor Jack Grove) into an offering that is available virtually. We welcomed eight new members in between services on Sunday morning, September 20th.
• Additional people are joining with us through online worship, and a new membership class is currently meeting via Zoom.
• First Step and Next Step classes have continued to be developed and offered to members of the congregation. Pastor Jenny has spent time making the discipleship cycle easier to understand so that everyone has the opportunity to participate in all parts of it! With a leadership development pathway being developed for 2021, we continue to move forward in meeting goal #3.
Thank you for the ways you continue to be involved in the life of our church family and for doing your part in helping us to carry out/meet our 2020 goals that align with our mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Class of 2021